[Mailman-Users] thousands of lists

ross at lug.udel.edu ross at lug.udel.edu
Thu Jul 28 06:55:48 CEST 2005

On Thu, Jul 28, 2005 at 01:55:36PM +1000, Iain Pople wrote:
> The concern is that on a unix filesystem it is very slow to access
> directories with thousands of entries.

While I can't address your question directly, I can say that this
isn't an issue.  Just use ReiserFS or set your ext2/3 filesystems to
use dir_index.  Either one will give you hashed directory lookups and
resolve this performance issue.

In general, I know that sourceforge.net uses Mailman for their lists.
The product gloss on the Realtime stats page claims 75,000+ projects.
Not sure how they manage them though.

--
Ross Vandegrift
ross at lug.udel.edu