[Mailman-Users] Digest Sending Questions

Jim Tittsler jwt at onjapan.net
Thu Jul 28 15:29:21 CEST 2005

On Jul 28, 2005, at 21:03, David Scribner wrote:

> Also, I don't see anything where I can set the time that a Daily
> Digest is sent out.  On my current LetterRipPro list server I have
> the Digests for the lists that have a digest option to send for each
> list at a different time, actually about a half an hour apart just to
> lessen the amount of out-going traffic when the Digests get sent.  Is
> it possible to do that same with Mailman?

Yes, by configuring the cron job that sends out the digests.  The
typical mailman installation uses a single cron task that invokes
senddigests with no arguments, which causes it to generate periodic
digests for *all* of the lists that have them enabled.  To stagger
the digest generation, cause senddigests to be invoked with the -l (--
listname) switch to specify individual lists:

0 7 * * *  /usr/local/bin/python -S /usr/local/mailman/cron/
senddigests -l list1
30 7 * * * /usr/local/bin/python -S /usr/local/mailman/cron/
senddigests -l list2
0 8 * * *  /usr/local/bin/python -S /usr/local/mailman/cron/
senddigests -l list3

... for each list with periodic digests.

--
Jim Tittsler     http://www.OnJapan.net/      GPG: 0x01159DB6
Python Starship  http://Starship.Python.net/crew/jwt/