[Mailman-Users] Help with Virtual Mailman

Kenn Martin kmartin+mailman at infoteam.com
Fri Jul 29 19:22:17 CEST 2005

--On Friday, July 29, 2005 8:48 AM -0300 Tiago Cruz
<tiagocruz at forumgdh.net> wrote:

> Kenn Martin escreveu:
>
>> Better yet, add the following to the MAKE_ARGS section of
>> /usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf :
>>
>>   'mail/mailman' => 'MAIL_GID=mailman',
>>
>> This will also save you each time you run portupgrade.
>
> Hi Kenn,
>
> Thank you to your tip, it's really very important set this variable to
> future upgrade in my system!
> But I can't find this file in my FreeBSD 5.4 STABLE... I need install
> some package?

Yes you do.  The portupgrade package is essential to keeping installed
ports up-to-date (including dependencies).  Once portupgrade is installed,
you can check the status of all packages by running:
<sudo> /usr/local/sbin/portupgrade -an

We have a central build server that cvsup's the base and ports weekly (and
then builds a copy of the base and multiple kernels).  /usr/ports is
NFS-mounted by everyone so portupgrade looks there when evaluating what
packages can be upgraded.  The -a switch says to do all packages, the -n
switch says to just report back and not actually build and install.
Alternatively you can use the -i switch to be prompted for each package.
Remember that /usr/ports/distfiles can end up with a lot of tar files over
time and occasionally needs clean up.  Our weekly build process cleans it
but prior to that it acts like a cache so installing the same package on
multiple machines doesn't incur downloading tar files.

----

Information for sysutils/portupgrade

Comment:
FreeBSD ports/packages administration and management tool suite

Portupgrade is a tool to upgrade installed packages via ports or
packages.  You can upgrade installed packages without having to
reinstall depending or dependent packages.  It can automatically trace
dependency chains up and down upgrading packages recursively.

This package also includes the following utilities:
portinstall:    Helps you install new ports in a handy way.
portcvsweb:     Instantly lets you browse change history via CVSweb.
portversion:    Replaces pkg_version(1) and helps you upgrade packages
                with portupgrade(1). (runs much faster)
portsclean:     Cleans ports workdir's, unreferenced distfiles,
                old and orphan shared libraries, and stale packages.
portsdb:        Creates binary database from the ports INDEX.
ports_glob:     Expands ports globs.
pkg_deinstall:  Wraps pkg_delete(1) and provides additional features.
pkg_fetch:      Fetches packages from a remote site.
pkg_glob:       Expands package globs.
pkg_which:      Checks which package a file came from quickly.
pkgdb:          Manages and searches the package database.

Author: Akinori MUSHA <knu at FreeBSD.org>