[Mailman-Users] First-time poster...

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Mon Jun 6 21:46:56 CEST 2005

On Mon, 2005-06-06 at 11:46 -0700, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> Bill Landry wrote:
> >
> >Jun  6 10:52:07 lists postfix/local[20108]: warning: cannot find alias
> >database owner for hash:/usr/local/mailman/data/aliases(0,34100)

> In any case, this appears to be a postfix configuration issue. A google
> search for "cannot find alias database owner" turns up two links to a
> postfix module alias.c, the relevant piece of which is:

I don't think this is a postfix configuration issue, but rather a
problem with user lookup's. What the code in question is doing is
getting the user id (uid) of the owner of of the alias file and then
mapping it to an account. For some reason that's failing. On the machine
that postfix is running on you should verify the mailman account exists.
(what does the command "id mailman" return?). Are you running postfix
and mailman on the same machine. Do you have any of the files on an NFS
mount? It seems very odd that ls -l prints out mailman as the owner but
postfix can't perform the same lookup. Are you running a NSCD (Name
Service Cache Daemon)? If so, maybe the cache isn't refreshed. Have you
tried restarting postfix? Is mailman in /etc/shadow on the machine
postfix is running on?
--
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>