[Mailman-Users] Postfix, Amavis and mailhost

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Wed Jun 22 02:06:45 CEST 2005

At 1:41 AM +0200 2005-06-22, Jan Kohnert wrote:

>  Is it possible to tell mailman to deliver to the postfix instance, which
>  delivers finally? Something like adding the port of my final delivery
>  instance to the mailhost variable (mail.relay.tld:Port instead of
>  mail.relay.tld)?

	The way this is typically done is by configuring the "external"
postfix instance (the one that runs everything through AMaViS) to
listen to the external IP addresses, and to have the "internal"
postfix instance (the one that handles final delivery once the
message has been scanned) on the "internal" IP addresses.  Note that
the IP address 127.0.0.1 is usually the "internal" IP address that is
used, if all three processes are done on the same machine.

	This way, internally generated mail should be able to go out
without needing to be scanned, while mail coming in will be scanned
on inbound only.  All that would change would be the IP address to
which the particular postfix instance is listening, and not the port.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755