[Mailman-Users] Sender filters discard messages but can't forward to the list owner?

lists at datatravels.com lists at datatravels.com
Fri Mar 11 05:51:34 CET 2005

MailMan Users list.

Here is what seems to be to be a limitation of MailMain, I am writing
to this list to confirm the limitation as I understand it.

I want to have a moderated announce-only list where list members cannot
post to the list. I have done this by making all of my users moderated.
In Privacy options > Sender Filters, I can set members' messages to be
Accepted, Held, Rejected, or Discarded.

What I want are the messages to be Discarded, but ALSO forwarded to the
mailing list owner. It seems that this is impossible with MailMan,
please confirm if this is your understanding as well.

I was trying to configure it this way because I wanted users to be able
to hit 'Reply' and send an unsubscribe request and have their message
be intercepted by the MailMan software (it says it can "intercept
message that look like admin requests"), perform the necessary
unsubscribe, OR if the message does not appear to be an admin request,
forward it to the list owner.

If I set the Reply-To of the to be the list owner always (or an
explicit address in General Options), then when a user hits 'reply' and
types a command it goes to that list owner's email address, by passing
the list altogether.

Please let me know if there is any way I can do what I am trying to do
with Mail Man.  What I am concluding from this experience is the
MailMan is basically programmed only to let you unsubscribe in two
ways:

1) using the unsubscribe email address provided in the List Headers
2) using the URL provided in the user's General List Info page

It is not programmed to intercept messages and check them to see if
they are requests and forward them if they are not. Is that conclusion
correct?

Thanks for your help.

Jason FB