[Mailman-Users] Queue directory questions

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Mar 11 22:28:28 CET 2005

Young, Darren wrote:

>Few questions for any experts on the qfiles directories..
>
>Is there a detailed description anywhere on the qfiles sub-direcotries?
>If not...

There is some overview im Mailman/Queue/IncomingRunner.py, but probably
much less than you're looking for.

>- What are the files in the qfiles/virgin directory?

These are Mailman generated messages as opposed to list posts. Things
like password reminders, moderation notices and so forth.

>- Why would files as .pck.tmp be "stuck" in the out directory? Same for
>the in directory.

The enqueue() method (see Mailman/Queue/Switchboard.py) first creates
the queue file with a .tmp extension and then after writing the
message object and metadata renames it to remove the extension.
There's very little that can go wrong except for a failure in the
rename itself, so I'd guess that's what's happening.

>- What conditions would cause a message to be placed in the "shunt"
>directory?

Pretty much any error in handling the message. The Mailman error log
should say why.