[Mailman-Users] help!

John W. Baxter jwblist at olympus.net
Tue Mar 15 06:57:41 CET 2005

On 3/14/2005 4:09, "Brad Knowles" <brad at stop.mail-abuse.org> wrote:

> At 2:28 PM -0500 2005-03-13, CKaliniak at aol.com wrote:
>
>>  I am administrator of four lists and can't seem to find any options  that
>>  will forward bounces to me...I want to know which email addresses are bad,
>>  rejected, etc., so that I can research them and make the appropriate
>>  changes/updates to my list...can you tell me where in the setup menu I
>>  need to  go to make that change?
>
> Whenever an address is unsubscribed from the list due to
> excessive bounces, you should get a notice which includes all the
> relevant information.  You won't otherwise get any notices, as
> Mailman handles this stuff internally.
>
> If you want to be notified of any problems whatsoever, so far as
> I know the only solution is to set your unsubscribe threshold to a
> single bounce.

Given control of the MTA configuration (as opposed to that being a provider
function) it should be easy with any MTA one is likely to be using to
configure so that a copy of a message to listname-bounces at ... ls sent to
anyone you want to annoy (preferably oneself).

If in a jurisdiction where making copies of in-transit mail is generally
illegal, one would want to find out whether it is illegal in the context of
creating a copy of a message which is bound for an agent (Mailman) that one
controls...that removes the third-party aspect and might or might not avert
the prison sentence.  (Seriously, it *can* be a touchy issue.)

  ---john