[Mailman-Users] SMTP_MAX_RCPTS setting for gmail and others

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Mon Mar 21 01:08:50 CET 2005

Paul H Byerly wrote:

>         I've recently turned off personalisation on a couple of large
>lists because it was running server load up too much when I sent thousands
>of individual, html e-mails.  Now I am getting "failed with code 452: 4.5.3
>Too many recipients" from gmail, hotmail, aol, yahoo and others.
>
>         I realise the solution is to drop the value of
>SMTP_MAX_RCPTS.  I'm playing with various settings, but I wonder if anyone
>knows a value that seems to get past all the big systems?

There are discussions of this in the list archives. An old post at
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2001-April/010917.html
says the magic number for AOL at that time appeared to be about 17.

However, see articles 4.11 and 4.12 in the FAQ
(http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py) which say the optimal value
for SMTP_MAX_RCPTS is in the range 2 - 5 from a performance standpoint.