[Mailman-Users] AOL Issues

Heather Madrone heather at madrone.com
Wed Mar 23 16:22:29 CET 2005

At 1:51 PM -0600 3/22/05, Terry Smith wrote:
>           I read a article you posted on a website about aol and
>bouncing email due 554 error....could you tell me if you have heard
>any information on this or what causes the problem

Hoo boy, would I like a good answer to this question!  I hear that the
button to report mail as spam is right next to the delete key and that
AOL encourages people to report unwanted email as spam.  So, when
a person gets tired of receiving mail from a mailing list, they can just
report it as spam and it goes away.

This has been happening on and off for some time.  There's no good
way to tell which address is reporting the list as spam (AOL certainly
won't tell you), so it cannot be easily removed.

I've finally gotten to the point that I have sent private mail to all AOL
subscribers letting them know that AOL is refusing delivery of their
list mail, suggesting that they complain to AOL, and recommending
that they get a free hotmail, yahoo, or gmail account for their list mail.

I'm thinking of updating all my list information pages to let AOL users
know that their ISP refuses delivery of many list postings and that they
should consider a different service provider.

Anyway, it's not a Mailman problem; it's an AOL problem.

--
Heather Madrone  (heather at madrone.com)  http://www.madrone.com

A rolling stone gathers no mass.