[Mailman-Users] unknown mailer problems

Ashley M. Kirchner ashley at pcraft.com
Thu Mar 24 06:12:16 CET 2005

Mark Sapiro wrote:

>It's hard to know what the problem might be because you seem to be
>presenting a moving target and not telling us much about what you're
>doing. Your initial post was about suEXEC and removing the setgid bit
>from the various wrappers in the cgi-bin/ directory.

    Yes it was, and after removing the set-gid bits from everything
within the /cgi-bin/, I kept on trucking because it seemed to run just
fine.  I say "seemed" because I haven't done a whole lot of testing just
yet.  When I was ready to do that, I ran into the unknown mailer
problem...  Which by the way has now been solved as well.  Keep reading
please...

>First of all, the scripts/post script is not normally found
>in the lists/ directory.

    This is correct, however I run mailman across several domains, on
the same server, and its built-in virtual domain capabilities simply
don't allow me to do what I want to do (or what my clients want.)  So, I
install mailman under one user, but in separate folders (for separate
domains) /lists/ being one of them (this by the way was brought up
several times in the past.)  So yes, your assumption is correct, I do
configure mailman with --prefix=/home/mailman/<domain>/

>So, are you trying to remove setgid from everything and somehow give
>permissions to the mail-gid and the cgi-gid? I don't really know about
>running Mailman under suEXEC.....

    Neither do I, however with our recent web server upgrades and
batting down the hatches, I'm forces to find a way to install Mailman
under suexec.  So this was my project of the day.

>I think what this really means is it isn't possible to set Mailman up
>properly to run with suEXEC.

    Maybe so, however I'm still testing it out.  Yes, I have removed the
set-gid bit from anything within the /cgi-bin/ folder since that's what
suexec requires.  As for the other error (unknown mailer error), python
won't read/execute programs in a folder that's g-x which /home/mailman/
was.  Once that restriction was removed, it happily worked.

    Now I need to continue testing, sending myself mail, subscribing,
etc., etc.  So far, it's working.

--
H | I haven't lost my mind; it's backed up on tape somewhere.
  Photo Craft Imaging                       .     3550 Arapahoe Ave. #6