[Mailman-Users] Transfering mailman lists between servers

James B. Byrne ByrneJB at Harte-Lyne.ca
Tue Mar 29 00:00:09 CEST 2005

On 28 Mar 2005 at 11:38, Mark Sapiro wrote:

> Are the domains different. Were the list visible when you first
> created them? See
> http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.029.
> htp . You probably need to run fix_url.py. You may also need to
> rebuild the archives with bin/arch if the "more info" links need
> to be fixed.

Here is the scenario.  These lists are presently hosted on a server
that is to be decommissioned.  At that time the host name of that
server will be transferred to the target machine as a CNAME.  I
wish to confirm that the lists are reachable from the network on
the new host before cutting over.  I infer from the instructions
given above that in order to test this I will have to run:

bin/withlist -l -r fix_url <listname> -u <newhostname.domain.tld>

for each list, test, and when the host name change occurs then redo
it on the same host with the old name again:

bin/withlist -l -r fix_url <listname> -u <oldhostname.domain.tld>

In a similar fashion the archives need to be reconstructed using
bin/arch.

Does this describe the situation?

Regards,
Jim