[Mailman-Users] Transfering mailman lists between servers

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Tue Mar 29 19:49:15 CEST 2005

James B. Byrne wrote"

>!!!Archives unreachable??????
>
>The Link to a transferred list's archives gives the following
>error:
>
>Forbidden
>
>You don't have permission to access /pipermail/transferlist/ on
>this server.
>
>Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to
>use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
>Apache/2.0.52 (CentOS) Server at mailman.domain.tld Port 80
>

>/var/log/httpd/error_log:
>
>[Tue Mar 29 11:37:55 2005] [error] [client 216.185.xxx.xxx]
>Symbolic link not allowed:
>/var/lib/mailman/archives/public/transferlist
>
>However, a list that was created on the new machine links to its
>own archives without problems.
>

>This is the mailman.conf file contents:
>
>/etc/httpd/conf.d/mailman.conf
>
>#
>#  httpd configuration settings for use with mailman.
>#
>
>ScriptAlias /mailman/ /usr/lib/mailman/cgi-bin/
><Directory /usr/lib/mailman/cgi-bin/>
>    AllowOverride None
>    Options ExecCGI
>    Order allow,deny
>    Allow from all
></Directory>
>

>Alias /pipermail/ /var/lib/mailman/archives/public/
><Directory /var/lib/mailman/archives/public>
>    Options Indexes MultiViews FollowSymLinks
>    AllowOverride None
>    Order allow,deny
>    Allow from all
></Directory>

You have Options FollowSymLinks so that should be OK, but it apparently
doesn't get applied when the host is <realhostname>.domain.tld.

>Now, the interesting thing is that the locally created lists have
>archive hyperlinks of the form mailman.domain.tld while the
>transferred lists have archive hyperlinks of the form
><realhostname>.domain.tld.  I am not sure how this can be but it is
>the case none the less.  So, do I run bin/fix_url.py or add an
>additional redirect directive to conf.d/mailman.conf or do
>something else?

What happens if you go to
http://mailman.domain.tld/pipermail/transferlist/

Do the directives in mailman.conf only apply to the mailman.domain.tld
host?

Where are these hyperlinks of the form
http://<realhostname>.domain.tld/pipermail/... Are they everywhere in
the archive or just on the listinfo page? Have you changed
PUBLIC_ARCHIVE_URL in mm_cfg.py?

If the various links to the listinfo and admin pages have the right
domain, you probably don't need to run fix_url.py.

If the 'bad' links are everywhere in the archive, then they were that
way on the old machine. If you want to 'fix' them, you need to run

 bin/arch --wipe

for each list, but it might be better to figure out what's needed in
the Apache config to make things work as they are.