[exim] Re: [Mailman-Users] Mailman/Exim problem with very slow outgoing mail on one list

Stephanie stephanie.elsy at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 17:50:36 CEST 2005

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 09:08:43 +0100, Nigel Metheringham
<Nigel.Metheringham at dev.intechnology.co.uk> wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-03-29 at 22:51 -0600, Stephanie wrote:
> > The firewall I use is APF and other than adding some ROKSO spammer IP
> > addresses and the Spamhaus DROP list to it about once a week, there
> > hadn't been any changes to it.  I'm not using ident in Exim either.
>
> If other sites are using ident, and your firewall drops ident packets,
> then you would get a 30 second delay on many outgoing connection
> attempts.

Which would affect all other outgoing mail on my server, right?  The
firewall isn't dropping ident tho and all other list mail and private
mail goes right out at about triple the speed of this one list's
outgoing mail.  The list in question has members from all the major
ISPs, AOL, Earthlink, Comcast, Roadrunner, Verizon and several dozen
small domains as well.  All the mail from that list has the same slow
delivery time, I've watched the queues carefully to see if it's one or
two or even three particular ISPs but it's not, it's all across the
board.

> In that case I would be looking very carefully at DNS - if your
> externally visible DNS for that domain is odd you may find that many
> systems you are sending mail to have a long delay on basic verification
> - which will slow down your outgoing speed.

Yes, that's my thought now too since it's affecting both lists hosted
on the same domain and nothing else.  I'm going to look at that
domain's DNS tonight (have to go to $DayJob now) and see if there's
anything wrong there that may be causing this.

--
hth,
Stephanie

Links blog: http://alice.ttlg.net/links/
Glenfinnan Web Hosting: http://www.glenfinnan.net/

The machine does not isolate man from the great problems of nature but
plunges him more deeply into them.
-- Antoine De Saint-Exupery [Wind, Sand, Stars]