[exim] Re: [Mailman-Users] Mailman/Exim problem with very slow outgoing mail on one list

Nigel Metheringham Nigel.Metheringham at dev.intechnology.co.uk
Wed Mar 30 10:08:43 CEST 2005

On Tue, 2005-03-29 at 22:51 -0600, Stephanie wrote:
> The firewall I use is APF and other than adding some ROKSO spammer IP
> addresses and the Spamhaus DROP list to it about once a week, there
> hadn't been any changes to it.  I'm not using ident in Exim either.

If other sites are using ident, and your firewall drops ident packets,
then you would get a 30 second delay on many outgoing connection
attempts.

> I did uncover one bit of info today, this list is on a domain that
> only hosts one other list (and practically nothing else, one tiny
> website with very little activity and both lists do not keep Mailman
> archives) and that other list is also having the same slow mail
> delivery.  It hadn't had any posts in about a month and a message was
> posted today, processed by Mailman and sent to Exim at 16:38 pm EST
> today and it took 50 minutes for the message to go out from Exim to
> the 226 members on individual mail delivery.  That pretty much the
> same delivery stats as on the other larger list.

In that case I would be looking very carefully at DNS - if your
externally visible DNS for that domain is odd you may find that many
systems you are sending mail to have a long delay on basic verification
- which will slow down your outgoing speed.

Look at your log entries and work out where the delay is - if there is a
huge delay between reception and first delivery then the problem is
likely somewhere in your routing.  If the delay is instead spread out
between deliveries then there is something, most likely DNS related,
thats slowing down the other systems taking mail from you.

	Nigel.