[Mailman-Users] moderator can't send a message to the list

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Mon May 9 04:38:14 CEST 2005

John covici wrote:

>Hi.  I have a strange problem on a list which I own, but do not
>moderate.  The moderator tried to send a message to the list and got a
>message back saying he was forbidden to do so and there is nothing in
>the logs to tell me anything except that a post went out.  How can I
>track this down and fix it ?

First of all, the fact that the poster is the moderator is irrelevant.
The moderator has no special privileges with respect to posting other
than the fact that he knows a password that could possibly be used in
an Approved: header.

My guess is that the address that Mailman saw the post as coming from
is a non-member and generic_nonmember_action is reject or the address
or a pattern match is in the reject_these_nonmembers list.

It doesn't seem likely from your description, but it is also possible
that the address is moderated and member_moderation_action is reject.

Has the moderator successfully posted before? From the exact same
address?