[Mailman-Users] How do the spammers do it?

Christophe Meessen christophe at meessen.net
Sun May 15 17:10:50 CEST 2005

JLB wrote:

> I just don't get it. Nobody on this mailing list would be stupid
> enough to fall for a spammer.

Of course. It is ment to catch trojans and spybots that steal valid
emails without the user beeing aware of it.

> Isn't there some way we can track these morons down and say "HEY
> IDIOT, GO SPAM AOL OR SOMETHING AND LEAVE US TECHIES ALONE"?

If some human is forwarding the list address purposely to spammers then
this method won't help.

The only efficient filtering system I can think of would use mail
signature (pkcs7/pgp). Such signature can be generated for free it is
only used for a specific application like a mailing list. It could be
done with Python I think. For such kind of applications there is no need
to renew certificates every year. A 10 to 20 year certificate would be
safe enough for such kind of application.