[Mailman-Users] Setting sitewide defaults that can't be changed?

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Wed May 18 22:43:12 CEST 2005

George Booth wrote:

> [...]
<snip>

>> It's not a "GUI file".  It is the GUI as created by the Python programs
>> that generate the required HTML.  So, you're talking about hacking Python
>> code.
>
>That would explain why I couldn't find it. So, it's a binary code, not conf
>files or anything I can directly edit. Not very convenient, eh? Anyway,
>thanks for the info. :)

Well, not exactly a "binary" code. It's python scripts.

The actual processing module for the administrative interface is
Mailman/Cgi/admin.py, but the modules that generate the various pages
are in Mailman/Gui/.

You could remove the 'archive' option from Mailman/Gui/Archive.py

Alternatively, I *think* (Warning! I don't know what I'm talking about)
you can just remove the Mailman/Gui/Archive.py* files alltogether AND
put

ARCHIVE_CATEGORIES.remove('archive')
DEFAULT_ARCHIVE = Off

in mm_cfg.py to remove the Archiving Options completely and default
'archive' to Off for new lists. If you did this, I think the only way
to turn archiving on or off for a list would be with bin/withlist.