[Mailman-Users] can't make a new list from the GUI

Bo Gusman mlist at bogusville.us
Thu May 26 01:08:34 CEST 2005

Thanks gents for your continuing help. I think I've solved the problem.

Brad gave me pointers to some FAQ items that have changed the behavior.
I think part of the problem was related to the apache redirect that I
was making to ssl. Then, creating the list showed an error on the screen
that says: "We encountered a bug ... mailman log."

/var/log/mailman/error showed

May 25 15:42:27 2005 (5427) command failed: /usr/sbin/postalias
/etc/mailman/aliases (status: 1, Operation not permitted)

Searching the faq again revealed:
http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=edit&file=faq06.009.htp

ls -l /etc/mailman/aliases* showed

660 aliases
620 aliases.db

Clearly wrong. Reset them according to the faq, 660.

I'm guessing the original problem was due to ssl redirect and the perms
problem an artifact of installing the rpm and removing, installing from
source and removing, and then reinstalling from rpm. I'll do some
additional testing tonight and see what happens.

Thanks again!

    Bo