[Mailman-Users] Mailman just doesn"t send the messages... :-(

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sat May 28 21:43:14 CEST 2005

Laurent Lesage wrote:

>I'm using Debian Sarge, with postfix and apache. I'v installed mailman
>(2.1.5.8) and everything works fine... except that the mails don't go
>out! In fact, it seems like mailman doesn't talk to postfix at all. In
>my "/var/log/syslog" where postfix logs his tasks, I see that the
>messages are received and are "aliased" to mailman. Then, mailman create
>the right email adresses but in /var/log/mailman/smtp.failure, I always
>get :
>
>May 28 17:30:10 2005 (2104) Low level smtp error: (-2, 'Name or service
>not known'), msgid: <mailman.0.1117158947.11238.mailman at lesagepono.be>
>May 28 17:30:10 2005 (2104) delivery to laurent at lesagepono.be failed
>with code -1: (-2, 'Name or service not known')

Mailman is unable to establish an SMTP (or any) connection to port 25
on localhost. This is due to a system configuration problem outside of
Mailman. You'll probably see a similar error if you try

telnet localhost 25

at a shell prompt.

See http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq06.014.htp
for more details.