[Mailman-Users] Bounce message confusion

Robin Rowe rower at movieeditor.com
Sat Nov 19 00:40:55 CET 2005

Thanks to Dan and Stephen for the help with mailman bounces. I
understand the overall issues much better as a result and am working
with my ISP to try to track down the MTA problem.

I'm still puzzled in some details in how to configure bounce processing.
If there's a doc somewhere that explains it better please let me know.
On the website it says the docs are incomplete and outdated.

Dumb question, but I want to make sure I understand: if I turn off
bounce processing what happens when there's a bounce?

My current settings, I have "The maximum member bounce score before the
member's subscription is disabled" set to 5.0, "The number of days after
which a member's bounce information is discarded, if no new bounces have
been received in the interim" at 7, "How many Your Membership Is
Disabled warnings a disabled member should get before their address is
removed from the mailing list" at 3, and "The number of days between
sending the Your Membership Is Disabled warnings" at 7. I have the three
bounce-notifications-to-me settings turned on.

I interpret these setting to mean that it will be at least 5 days before
a subscriber email address could be disabled and 3 more days until
automatic removal. However, I've had a subscriber report that after
rejoining my list he was unsubscribed again the very next day due to
bouncing. Is that possible?

The mailman description for bounce processing (enclosed below) says,
"You can control both the number of reminders the member will receive
and the frequency with which these reminders are sent." It isn't clear
to me how to control that from the settings offered. At what point do
warning messages get sent and how often do subscribers receive bounce
messages? How do I change the frequency and text of bounce warning
messages?

My subscribers complain that they don't like to receive bounce messages.
Can I stop their bounce warning messages but still keep getting bounce
notifications sent to me? How?

It says, "You should tune both of these to the frequency and traffic
volume of your list." For a one-way list of 500 subscribers who get a
few announcements a week, how would I estimate what the right settings
should be?

Thank you!

Robin

---------------

According to mailman:

When a bounce is received, Mailman tries to extract two pieces of
information from the message: the address of the member the message was
intended for, and the severity of the problem causing the bounce. The
severity can be either hard or soft meaning either a fatal error
occurred, or a transient error occurred. When in doubt, a hard severity
is used.

If no member address can be extracted from the bounce, then the bounce
is usually discarded. Otherwise, each member is assigned a bounce score
and every time we encounter a bounce from this member we increment the
score. Hard bounces increment by 1 while soft bounces increment by 0.5.
We only increment the bounce score once per day, so even if we receive
ten hard bounces from a member per day, their score will increase by
only 1 for that day.

When a member's bounce score is greater than the bounce score threshold,
the subscription is disabled. Once disabled, the member will not receive
any postings from the list until their membership is explicitly
re-enabled (either by the list administrator or the user). However, they
will receive occasional reminders that their membership has been
disabled, and these reminders will include information about how to
re-enable their membership.

You can control both the number of reminders the member will receive and
the frequency with which these reminders are sent.

There is one other important configuration variable; after a certain
period of time -- during which no bounces from the member are received
-- the bounce information is considered stale and discarded. Thus by
adjusting this value, and the score threshold, you can control how
quickly bouncing members are disabled. You should tune both of these to
the frequency and traffic volume of your list.

###