[Mailman-Users] Strange errors

Dan Szkola szkola at tanis.cso.niu.edu
Fri Oct 21 15:35:38 CEST 2005

Mark Sapiro wrote:

>Dan Szkola wrote:
>

>>The python 2.4.1 was compiled from source and is the only python version
>>on the box.
>>

>In a later post, you say it wasn't, but you removed the Sun Gnome
>Python 2.3. I hope that fixes it, but I doubt it will.

It did not. It was doubtful mailman could find that python, due to it
being in
/usr/sfw, but one never knows for sure.

>Here's something else to try if it fails again. As the mailman user in
>the /usr/local/mailman directory, give the command
>
>python2.4 -S /usr/local/mailman/scripts/admin listname <file
>
>Except for the fact that this doesn't edit the environment passed to
>the script, it is the same as invoking the script from the wrapper. If
>it works, it will produce an 'unrecognized bounce' which will be
>forwarded to the list owner if the option to do so is selected. If it
>doesn't work, it will produce a similar output to the above, but the
>key is that if it doesn't work, we'll know that the problem, even
>though fixed by restarting sendmail and not by restarting Mailman,
>occurs even though sendmail doesn't directly invoke the script via the
>wrapper. If it does work, we'll know that it involves the script being
>invoked through the wrapper.

It did work, 5 straight times I got the normal "Uncaught bounce
notification" message.

>You could then try
>
>/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman admin listname <file
>
>to see if it occurs when you rather than sendmail invoke the wrapper,
>but this has to be done from the group that sendmail uses, i.e., the
>group that the wrapper expects to be invoked by. Otherwise, the
>wrapper will complain because this is exactly the security violation
>the wrapper is supposed to catch.

Same here, works every time, sending the "Uncaught bounce notification"
message.

Only seems to happen when run by the sendmail process.

--
Dan Szkola
Sr Unix Systems Programmer