[Mailman-Users] ISO-8859-1/Latin1 vs UTF-8

Bernd Petrovitsch bernd at firmix.at
Mon Oct 24 13:04:13 CEST 2005

On Mon, 2005-10-24 at 12:52 +0200, Hannah Schroeter wrote:
[...]
> On Sun, Oct 23, 2005 at 11:58:37PM +0200, Bernd Petrovitsch wrote:
> >Apparently all of the German translation of Mailman is in ISO-8859-1 (or
> >ISO-8859-15) - at least in the standard Debian mailman package.
>
> >Is there a special reason for not moving to UTF-8 in general?
>
> I'd say: YAGNI (Ya ain't gonna need it). If the charset is declared

If I don't need it, I do not care.

> correctly, it isn't worse for German text. And it has less overhead
> then.

The problem is that I enter text in the web-interface on a default UTF-8
system and it is apparently stored as UTF-8. The pages are delivered as
ISO-8859-1 according to the HTTP  header and the header in the file.
So the CGI scripts actually should convert correctly the ML-admins data
from the given charset into ISO-8859-1 (which is not 100% possible but
for German and in practice it will be good enough IMO).
The other solution is to use ö and brothers and blame the ML admin
if he doesn't do so (and put in somwhere into the docs or so).

There is BTW a similar problem: If I enter " (quotes) in the web
interface, they are converted to " (probably by the browser - I
didn't check) and then sent out in a plain/text email.

So in both cases I actually want to know what the way to go is.

	Bernd
          Embedded Linux Development and Services