[Mailman-Users] Attach Pics

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Oct 28 23:45:38 CEST 2005

Mark Sapiro wrote:

>David wrote:
> >
> >One more thing.  If people are on moderation is there some place to set
> >it that they dont get notification of being moderated and their message
> >is just held without them knowing it.
>

>No. If member_moderation_action is hold or reject, the member is
>notified. Only if member_moderation_action is discard is there no
>notice.

It turns out, I was wrong here. Also, the documentation appears wrong
in a different way.

The setting is on the list's General Options page and is
respond_to_post_requests. The help for this option says "Approval
notices are sent when mail triggers certain of the limits _except_
routine list moderation and spam filters, for which notices are not
sent. This option overrides ever sending the notice."

The phrase "_except_ routine list moderation and spam filters, for
which notices are not sent" is not correct in that the only notices
that aren't sent are when a message is 'discarded' including for a
match on mm_cfg.KNOWN_SPAMMERS or when a message is held because
emergency is Yes.

Submitters of all held posts regardless of reason except emergency
moderation are notified or not depending on the setting of
respond_to_post_requests. This includes posts held for routine
moderation and posts that match header_filter_rules with a hold action
and posts that match bounce_matching_headers.

Thus, you can turn off notices to moderated users by setting
respond_to_post_requests to No, but you also turn off all other held
post notices as well.