[Mailman-Users] Case sensitive problem w/ list serve

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Fri Sep 2 21:27:44 CEST 2005

At 3:12 PM -0400 2005-09-02, Darren G Pifer wrote:

>  No, we have been using sendmail 8.13.4 even before we moved mailman
>  to the new machine. Do you know what options sendmail may be using
>  that is causing recipient name folding?

	By default, sendmail is not going to be doing any case folding,
although I believe it is capable of that.  You'd need to check the
bat book, and look at the options defined for that particular mailer
definition.

>  Nope. We put the new version of mailman 2.1.6b4 on the machine then
>  did the conversion. I have to admit that we have not done anything
>  with the /etc/aliases file other than add the mailman specific entries
>  to it. Are we supposed to add entries for list, list-admin,
>  list-bounces, list-confirm, list-join, list-leave, list-owner,
>  list-request, list-subscribe, list-unsubscribe to the aliases file for
>  each mailman list we have? Will this have an effect on whether sendmail
>  can process the case-insensitive listname?

	It's going to depend on how you're integrating your Mailman
installation with sendmail, but yes -- normally you would add the
complete set of appropriate aliases for each and every list you add
to the server.  It is possible to create configurations where these
aliases are added for you automatically by the process which creates
the Mailman mailing lists, but I don't think that's a normal part of
the typical sendmail configuration.

	But it's all going to depend on how you're integrating the two.
You need to know more about how you're doing that, and what processes
are doing what and where.  I imagine that you'll have your answer to
your original question when you find out the answers to these
questions.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755