[Mailman-Users] Uncaught runner exception: 'utf8' codeccan'tdecode bytes in position 1-4: invalid data

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Mon Sep 12 01:53:21 CEST 2005

Aliet Santiesteban Sifontes wrote:

>Thank's Mark, how could I find the bad message,

You have to look through the digest.mbox file and find

In your case, the value of the filename= will look garbled.

>I'm
>worried because If I can make the list work again, I
>have the risk this happens again, is there any patch
>for this??. I think that this can be a potencial dos
>attack to other lists on the net.

There is no patch that I know of. The actual error occurs in the Python
email library, not in Mailman. The code has changed between Mailman
2.1.5 and 2.1.6, but not in a way that I think would avoid the
exception.

You could try replacing the line

    fnext = os.path.splitext(msg.get_filename(''))[1]

in /var/lib/mailman/Mailman/Handlers/Scrubber.py with

    try:
        fnext = os.path.splitext(msg.get_filename(''))[1]
    except UnicodeDecodeError:
        fnext = ''