[Mailman-Users] mailman stopped working after upgrade

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Tue Sep 13 04:58:33 CEST 2005

Daevid Vincent wrote:

>Mark said, "Yes, it has the flags, but what is the value of the ${MAILGID}
>parameter?  The error message you received says it's 'mailman' and should be
>'mail'."
>
>And looking at the log, he seems to be correct:
>Sep 12 12:16:19 [Mailman mail-wrapper] Group mismatch error.  Mailman
>expected the mail_wrapper script to be executed as group "mailman", but_the
>system's mail server executed the mail script as_group "mail".  Try tweaking
>the mail server to run the_script as group "mailman", or re-run configure,
>_providing the command line option `--with-mail-gid=mail'._
>
>But the .ebuild script sets it to gid 280, shouldn't it be 8? why is that?
>Is that the problem? How can I fix that. Re-emerging doesn't let me change
>those .ebuild values. MD5 errors and such.
>
>APACHEGID="81"
>MAILGID="280"
>
>src_compile() {
>        econf \
>                --prefix=${INSTALLDIR} \
>                --with-mail-gid=${MAILGID} \
>                --with-cgi-gid=${APACHEGID} \
>        || die "configure failed"
>
>        make || die "make failed"
>}
>
># ll /etc/exim/exim.conf
>-rw-r--r--  1 root root 29452 Apr 29 13:54 /etc/exim/exim.conf
>
>  # User and group for Mailman, should match your --with-mail-gid
>  # switch to Mailman's configure script.
>  # Value is normally "mailman"
>  MM_UID=mailman
>  MM_GID=mailman
>
>So, these match what the comment says there, and what the .ebuild is doing.
>
>I'm so confused. *sigh*

As well you should be at this point. The wrapper is telling you that it
expects to be executed as group 'mailman', and it looks from what
you've presented that it was in fact built that way. It also seems you
can't change it in your update package.

The wrapper also complains that it is not being executed as group
'mailman', but rather as group 'mail'. This is the confusing part
because it seems from the above that you are telling Exim to invoke
the wrapper as group 'mailman' yet the wrapper is telling you it is
being invoked as group 'mail'. I would look carefully at the Exim
configuration to be sure that

  MM_UID=mailman
  MM_GID=mailman

are in the right place and are not being overridden somewhere else.