[Mailman-Users] mailman stopped working after upgrade

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Tue Sep 13 21:17:36 CEST 2005

On Tue, 2005-09-13 at 11:33 -0700, Daevid Vincent wrote:
> [...]

I doubt it can just be mailman. It's failing in the mail wrapper which
calls getgid() to get the group its being executed as. Mailman is simply
reporting the facts, which is it is not being executed as the group it
was intended to be executed as. In your configuration it is exim that is
executing mailman wrapper, thus it is exim that needs looking at. Also,
please note the error concerns group id not the user id. The error
reported says exim executed the mail wrapper as the group "mail" when it
expected it to be group "mailman". This means exim invoked the wrapper
in the "mail" group. Sorry, I'm not an exim user so I can't tell you the
particulars of exim, but I suspect there is an option when executing the
mailman wrapper to elect the group in addition to the user (its the
group thats important).

Also, its not the setuid or setgid bit of exim that's relevant in this
case, that says when that exim executable is run, ignore who is invoking
me and run as this user or group instead. Which for exim when invoking
mailman on your behalf is not relevant (and may not even be desirable),
what is relevant is that when exim invokes the mailman wrapper it calls
setgid("mailman") (I'm playing a little loose and fast here, but thats
the idea in a nutshell). This probably only happens via an exim
configuration parameter tied to mailman invocation.

HTH,
--
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>