[Mailman-Users] Redirecting html-pages to another mailman server

Osmo Kujala kujala at cc.jyu.fi
Thu Sep 22 20:09:18 CEST 2005

Hi List

I'm trying to migrate from version 2.0.8 to 2.1.5 by transferring
lists one by one from old server to new server. Problem is to keep
server name the same (lists.jyu.fi) all the time. So I decided to
first move that name to new server and redirect mail addresses and
html-accesses from there to old server. Mail is handled by aliases-file.
For www-pages I'm creating "fake-lists" with names suchlike in old server
and with old server as host_name. That will direct links on html-pages to
old server, but direct html-accesses must be redirected too.
I'm doing this using templates like:

/usr/lib/mailman/lists/test-list/en/admlogin.html:

url=http://lists2.cc.jyu.fi%(path)s">

/usr/lib/mailman/lists/test-list/en/listinfo.html:

/usr/lib/mailman/lists/test-list/en/options.html:

????  This is one problem. Access of members option-page is not directly
handled by options.html-template any more, like it was in version 2.0.8,
and templates are not at all compatible. Any ideas how to get this
working?
Apache-redirect's are possible, but I did like the template approach more
so far. Also don't want to modify .../Cgi/options.py.

Someone must have considered something like this before. I tried to find
something from archives and FAQ wizard, but no hit yet.

I think it would be easy to add such list option to Mailman to
redirect all list access to another server?

This approach is not only for migrating lists but could serve as
kind of "front end" distributing lists among several servers.

regards
        Osmo Kujala