[Mailman-Users] can't remove members

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Thu Apr 6 02:02:04 CEST 2006

Con Wieland wrote:

>Running Mailman version 2.1.4 I am trying to unsubscribe all members
>from a list using:
>
>./remove_members --all cie-info
>
>remove_members -anN cie-info

<snip>

>I also tried:
>
>./remove_members -f cie-info -nN cie-info
>No such member: a18devil at hotmail.com
>No such member: aabajian at uci.edu
>Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "./remove_members", line 186, in ?
>     main()
>   File "./remove_members", line 176, in main
>     admin_notif, userack)
>   File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 954, in
>ApprovedDeleteMember
>     self.removeMember(emailaddr)
>   File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/OldStyleMemberships.py", line
>220, in removeMember
>     self.__assertIsMember(member)
>   File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/OldStyleMemberships.py", line
>113, in __assertIsMember
>     raise Errors.NotAMemberError, member
>Mailman.Errors.NotAMemberError: ahref=
>

>with the same results.

Presumably, cie-info in '-f cie-info' is the output from
bin/list_members or something similar.

It looks like you have a member with a totally bogus address that maybe
got added by someone pasting some HTML into the list for a mass
subscribe (2.1.4 and prior weren't too good at keeping stuff like this
out).

What do you see if you

grep href= cie-info

You need to make a new members file with list_members and remove any
such bogus entries. Then you can use that as input to remove_members,
and finally see
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq03.013.htp>
for suggestions on how to remove the bad ones.

Or, since you are deleting everyone, you can just dump the config with
bin/config_list, remove the list (but not the archives) with
bin/rmlist, create a new list with the same name, and configure it
with bin/config_list using the old config as input.