[Mailman-Users] Cc to the list?

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Mon Apr 10 02:34:39 CEST 2006

Andre Tann wrote:

>I'm running Mailman with the option VERP personalisation turned on.

I think you mean "full personalization" which is actually independent
of VERP.

>This results in mails being generated look like this:
>
>To: atann at gmx.net
>Cc: listname at mydom.ain

By design. Full personalization puts the recipient in the To: header
and the list in Cc: to facilitate replying to the list (with
reply-all).

>How can I get rid of the Cc-line? The problem about this is that
>mail clients like kmail reply to the list instead of the author
>mentioned in the From-line, even though I have set
>reply_goes_to_list to "sender".

If you want to hack Mailman to accommodate this apparently broken MUA,
look at the code in Mailman/Handlers/Cookheaders.py introduced by the
following comments.

  # The To field normally contains the list posting address.  However
  # when messages are fully personalized, that header will get
  # overwritten with the address of the recipient.  We need to get the
  # posting address in one of the recipient headers or they won't be
  # able to reply back to the list.  It's possible the posting address
  # was munged into the Reply-To header, but if not, we'll add it to a
  # Cc header.  BAW: should we force it into a Reply-To header in the
  # above code?
  # Also skip Cc if this is an anonymous list as list posting address
  # is already in From and Reply-To in this case.