[Mailman-Users] Little doubt

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sat Apr 15 17:20:12 CEST 2006

johannes.kepler at sapo.pt wrote:

>> 1) I want that all the bounce mail, the one who needs approval, etc. be
>> automatically discarded and deleted; I've already tryed in the bounce
>> admin. options choose the "don't be notified", put the days, equal to
>> zero, etc., but I still receive mail to be authorized. How can I stop
>> receiving this?

Are you confusing automated bounce processing and held messages? I'm
not sure what you want to do with bounce processing, but you can turn
off the admin notices and/or turn off bounce processing completely,
but this only affects bounces returned to (or spam sent to) the
listname-bounces address.

You cannot automatically discard all otherwise held messages.

You can set Privacy options...->Sender
filters->generic_nonmember_action to discard to automatically discard
posts from non-members, and if you have     Privacy options...->Spam
filters->header_filter_rules, you can set their action to discard. You
can set Privacy options...->Sender filters->member_moderation_action
to discard to automatically discard posts from moderated members.

However, there are other holds such as those based on max_message_size,
Privacy options...->Recipient filters, etc. for which you can't
specify a Discard action.

What you can do in Mailman 2.1.6 and later is set General
Options->max_days_to_hold to 1 which will automatically discard held
messages after one day. If this is the setting you refer to when you
say "put the days, equal to zero", zero means don't automatically
discard. If you want auto discard, you have to set max_days_to_hold to
one or greater.

>> 2) When I edit the files to be showed to the user, the text one appears
>> with funny characters when I use letters like ã, ô, à, á, ç, etc - they
>> are used in portuguese. How can I prevent this of happening?

Which files are you editing? How are you editing them? Where are you
placing edited versions? Are you perhaps creating edited templates
with, e.g., utf-8 encoding (pt templates need to be iso-8859-1
encoded)?

Have you seen
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.048.htp>