[Mailman-Users] duplicate messages from shunt queue

Charles Sprickman spork at bway.net
Tue Aug 1 22:27:57 CEST 2006

On Mon, 31 Jul 2006, Mark Sapiro wrote:

> There are several possibilities here.
>
> 3) if a message is shunted because SMTPDirect.py can't write the 'post'
> log, it has already been sent, but OutgoingRunner.py doesn't know this
> when it catches the exception and shunts the message. So those
> messages which were shunted because of ownership/permission issues on
> the 'post' log probably were duplicated when you ran unshunt

I think that solves the mystery then.

>> What am I missing here?  From what I've been able to dig up on the list
>> archives the qfiles/shunt directory should only contain messages that never
>> made it out to any lists due to some error in config, perms or some bug in
>> mailman itself.
>
> This is not always true, as in case 3) above. Thus, you have to use
> judgement in unshunting.

Will do.  Also set up an snmp monitoring process to watch the shunt queue
and let me know when things are piling up so I can investigate.

> In the case where the error occurs in delivery under OutgoingRunner,
> the message will have been archived, and when unshunted will be
> processed only by OutgoingRunner and not by ArchRunner, so no
> duplicate archive entry results. But, in this case, it is possible
> that some or all receipients received the original delivery and will
> receive duplicates when the message is unshunted.

Excellent info.  I put a question regarding this in the FAQ, so now I'll
answer it.

Thanks for the insight Mark, very much appreciated.

Charles