[Mailman-Users] Changing text in Hold.py

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Tue Aug 1 22:57:41 CEST 2006

Walt Dabell wrote:

>I was trying to change the default admin message sent to
>people who were trying to post to the list, who the list
>didn't think were subscribed. A _LOT_ of people these
>days are subscribing with one address, then trying to post
>from another. They get real bent when the only message
>(from a lazy admin) they get when they try to post from
>the wrong address is:
>
>Non-members are not allowed to post messages to this list.
>
>I wanted to change the default to:
>
>Non-members are not allowed to post messages to this list.
>If you are already a member, PLEASE remember to post from
>your subscribed address.

If your Mailman is 2.1.6 or later, you do this with
nonmember_rejection_notice in the admin/privacy GUI.

>To do so, I modified /usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Handlers/Hold.py
>then did
>
>$ python
>
>Now nothing gets held for approval... That I can tell.
>I tried copying back a same version Hold.pyc from another
>machine and it still doesn't work.

As Brad pointed out, you don't need to recompile. Python does this as
needed, but you do need to do

bin/mailmanctl restart

after any mm_cfg.py or Handler module changes (and other changes that
affect the queue runners) too.

Now, you may have a modified Hold.py that's newer than Hold.pyc, so
Python will ignore the Hold.pyc and recompile Hold.py so the thing to
do is restore the original Mailman/Handlers/Hold.py, remove
Mailman/Handlers/Hold.pyc and then do the restart as above.

If this doesn't restore things to the way they were, you'll need to
look at other things that might have changed.