[Mailman-Users] Can I diable auto subscribe/unsubscribe ?

Dragon dragon at crimson-dragon.com
Mon Aug 14 05:15:21 CEST 2006

Dongsheng Song sent the message below at 07:24 PM 8/13/2006:

>I have a private maillist, maintenance manually. Can I forbid anyone
>auto subscribe/unsubscribe ?
>
>Tanks for some help

There is a philosophical issue behind this that you need to really
think about when making your decision on how to set up a list.

Are you currently using the mailman mailing list software?

If so, you can control these things through the subscribe_policy and
unsubscribe_policy settings on the Privacy Options page of the web interface.

You can set subscription to require moderator approval or to require
both approval and confirmation. In your case, I think you would just
want to set it to approval only without the confirmation.

While you can set the unsubscription policy to require moderator
approval, I really think that this should only be done in very
limited circumstances. The only legitimate reason I can think of to
do so is if this were a list maintained by an employer for the
purpose of conducting internal business and certain employees were
required to receive the correspondence from that list as part of
their job duties.

In any other case I can think of, the unsubscription policy should be
set to allow users to unsubscribe at will (the "no" setting). Think
about how you would feel if you were in a position where you joined a
list and then could not leave it when you wished. It is a rather
unwelcome and unfriendly thing to do.

I run a few small lists, there are a couple of public ones open to
anyone who wishes to join and there are a couple of private ones
requiring moderator approval for subscription. None of those lists
requires approval to leave, anyone is free to stop receiving mail at
any time from those lists and this is how it generally ought to be.

Dragon