[Mailman-Users] problem with default domain

Kim Leandersson kim.leandersson at chs.chalmers.se
Wed Aug 16 13:59:38 CEST 2006

> >  We have a server where we host about 70 domains which are 
> administrated
> >  via Plesk (http://www.swsoft.com/en/products/plesk/). One 
> of the most
> >  popular applications used by the customer is mailman. 
> Plesk uses virtual
> >  domains, so every customer gets its own mailman 
> installation and can
> >  create lists.
> See FAQ 6.15.  Our ability to help support Plesk is going to be 
> limited, because they made a number of modifications to Mailman, and 
> they haven't shared those with us.  Your first stop for all support 
> questions regarding Plesk should be the service provider from whom 
> you have rented or bought your systems.  After that, with all 
> questions that are related to Plesk and any Plesk-modified tool (such 
> as their version of Mailman), your next stop should be their mailing 
> lists, FAQs, documentation, etc....
> We'll try to help if we can, but there's going to be a limit to what 
> we may be able to do for you.

Yes, I did read the FAQ before so I knew this. I tried SW-softs plesk
support first (since I am the service provider offering plesk to
customers) but the are not always what you wish for when it comes to
support so I tried this list. I have tried their documentation to but
havent't found any answer to my question there.

> >  My problem is that when the server was being installed someone
> >  misspelled the hostname so it was entered as 
> plisk.example.com instead
> >  of plesk.example.com. This error are now corrected, but 
> somewhere in the
> >  mailman installation the plisk entry exists. The problem 
> with this is
> >  that all the monthly password reminders are sent out from
> >  mailman-bounces at plisk.example.com and since many 
> mailserver checks if
> >  the domain exist before delivery the deny the mail.
> If you were running standard Mailman, I would tell you that you need 
> to correct your mm_cfg.py file and run fix_url, and that should 
> resolve all your problems.

Yes, I have administrated mailman since a couple of years on non-plesk
servers so that was my first thought to. When I didn't find it there i
ran "grep -r plisk *" on the mailman directory without any hit.

> However, I have no idea what the Plesk people may have done to the 
> version of Mailman that they ship, and how their GUI-only tools 
> integrate into that environment.
> My guess is that there is a Plesk-specific way to modify things like 
> this (through their administrative interface), and that if you don't 
> make these modifications using their officially approved techniques, 
> then you will get into a disconnect situation where Plesk thinks the 
> machine's name is one thing and Mailman thinks something else, and 
> the end result is far worse than you have today.
> Good luck with this issue.  Please let us know what you ended 
> up having to do.
As said above I ran "grep -r plisk *" in the mailman directory without
finding any file that contains plisk. I then checked everywhere in the
GUI without finding it.Last I ran "grep -r plisk *" on the whole server.
Except for some pck-files in mailmans shunt-directory the only instance
where plisk were found was in the mysql dump for the DNS. It seems that
somewhere plisk was registered as localhost (together with plesk). I
have now removed the plisk entry in the mysql db so I hope the problem
has gone away. We'll see about that next time the monthly password
reminders are sent out.


More information about the Mailman-Users mailing list