[Mailman-Users] site administration question

William Yardley mailman at veggiechinese.net
Wed Aug 16 23:02:58 CEST 2006

On Wed, Aug 16, 2006 at 03:46:03PM -0400, Larry Johnson wrote:

> In the meantime we're having serious space issues with the current
> machine, and I have a question about the way the messages are stored
> here.  In the archive directories under the list name messages seem to
> be stored in three places, all by month.  For example we have
> 2005-October (the directory with the individual messages as html)
> 2005-October.txt (a complete mbox for the month), and the same file
> gzipped up.
>
> First question -- do we really need the zipped up copy, while the
> unzipped version is in the directory?  Are there any local settings we
> can do to optimize space until we've moved to the new machine?

My understanding is that this copy is just to make it easy for people to
download a compressed archive of the mbox file.

See:
GZIP_ARCHIVE_TXT_FILES = No

in Defaults.py

So you sould see if GZIP_ARCHIVE_TXT_FILES is set in mm_cfg.py.

After disabling that, I think you should just be able to remove the .gz
files.