[Mailman-Users] How to set moderator passwd via 'config_list'?

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Thu Aug 24 02:09:04 CEST 2006

Matt England wrote:

>Is there a way to set a list's moderator password via the 'config_list -i'
>command?  My mailman admin has yet to see a reference in the 'config_list
>-o' output.

Yes and no.  You can set any list attribute via input to config_list.
For example your input file could contain

mlist.password = 'somevalue'

for the admin password, or

mlist.mod_password = 'somevalue'

for the moderator password. The problem is that somevalue is not the
plain text password. It is the encrypted password. Thus, you need to
put the following 3 lines in the input to config_list

import sha
mlist.password = sha.new('newpassword').hexdigest()
del sha

The third line isn't really necessary, but it avoids a warning
'attribute "sha" ignored' that occurs because of the way config_list
handles its input file. If you want to set the moderator password,
just replace mlist.password with mlist.mod_password.