[Mailman-Users] Error posting to a mailman list.

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Mon Aug 28 02:28:39 CEST 2006

Steven Jones wrote:

>I seem to be having an ongoing error with mailman, at least one list is
>failing to work after working for a period....
>
>The list from the mailman end seems to work as I can subscribe people
>and they get an email, but I can no longer send to the list...it
>bounces.
<snip>
>   ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
>"|/var/mailman/mail/mailman post its-agp"
>    (reason: 1)
>    (expanded from: <its-agp at lists.vuw.ac.nz>)
>
>   ----- Transcript of session follows -----
>post script, list not found: its-agp
>554 5.3.0 unknown mailer error 1

The alias is expanded and invoking the wrapper which is invoking the
'post' script which says the list isn't found.

>The list seems to be in /etc/aliases,
>
>=======8><-----
>its-agp:              "|/var/mailman/mail/mailman post its-agp"
>its-agp-admin:        "|/var/mailman/mail/mailman admin its-agp"
>its-agp-bounces:      "|/var/mailman/mail/mailman bounces its-agp"
>its-agp-confirm:      "|/var/mailman/mail/mailman confirm its-agp"
>its-agp-join:         "|/var/mailman/mail/mailman join its-agp"
>its-agp-leave:        "|/var/mailman/mail/mailman leave its-agp"
>its-agp-owner:        "|/var/mailman/mail/mailman owner its-agp"
>its-agp-request:      "|/var/mailman/mail/mailman request its-agp"
>its-agp-subscribe:    "|/var/mailman/mail/mailman subscribe its-agp"
>its-agp-unsubscribe:  "|/var/mailman/mail/mailman unsubscribe its-agp"
>=======8><-----

Two questions: Do other lists that work invoke the same wrapper
(/var/mailman/mail/mailman)?, and what do you see if you look at the
above with something that shows 'transparent' characters?

<snip>
>[root at vuwunicosmtp004 mailman]# tail error
>Aug 28 10:25:13 2006 post(16091): post script, list not found: its-agp
>Aug 28 10:27:50 2006 post(16231): post script, list not found: its-agp
>Aug 28 10:30:06 2006 post(16744): post script, list not found: its-agp

Here again, the 'post' script can't find the list. I'm grasping, but
either the wrapper invokes a post script from a different installation
than /var/mailman (not likely), or there is a transparent character in
the list name in the pipe in the alias. I can't off hand think what
else it might be.

>So I am a bit at a loss....suggests some sort of link within or to
>mailman is broken.....

What happens if you manually give the command

python /var/mailman/scripts/post its-agp < /dev/null

If working properly, there should be no error from the command and no
entry in the error log, but there will be messages in the post, smtp
and probably smtp-failure logs.