[Mailman-Users] query re "message has implicit destination"

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Thu Aug 31 03:07:25 CEST 2006

At 2:22 AM +0200 2006-08-31, Bretton Vine wrote:

>  Aaaah, but that's the crux of the situation. I have read the documentation.
>  I have searched the FAQs. I have asked the list and I keep getting the same
>  answer: there is no obvious reason a {TO:listname,CC:thirdparty} post should
>  result in the "message has implicit destination" error.
>
>  However I am expected to provide one.

There is no answer we can give you.  The software does not work the
way you have described.

The only two possible answers I can think of are:

1.  The user was intentionally lying to you.

2.  The user did not fully understand the question and the situation,
and therefore gave you an inaccurate response.

Therefore, if you want to be able to give a complete and correct
technical response, you must gather more information from the user,
including incontrovertible proof of exactly what they sent to your
server so that you can duplicate the described behaviour.

Until you can duplicate the described behaviour based on the
information you have from the user, it will be impossible for you to
give a complete and correct technical answer.

>  If I'm being a bit anal it's because I need to be quite sure of myself if
>  I'm going to suggest the problem exists between keyboard and chair ...

Just ask for more information.  You don't need to imply anything,
just tell them that you're trying to test all the possible paths
through the code, to understand how the system could have responded
in the way it did.

If they are unwilling or unable to help, then you should tell your
management that you do not believe it is possible for the code to
behave in the manner described but that you do not have enough
information to prove that, and then it's up to them to make a
decision.

Making real-life decisions with incomplete information is something
that human beings do every moment of their waking life, it shouldn't
be too hard for them to do it again in this case.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755

  Founding Individual Sponsor of LOPSA.  See <http://www.lopsa.org/>.