[Mailman-Users] Help with Mailman and Sendmail

David Abrahams dave at boost-consulting.com
Mon Dec 4 03:40:33 CET 2006

Mark Sapiro <msapiro at value.net> writes:

> David Abrahams wrote:
>>
>>Heh, and even if I do that, I don't end up with a
>>/usr/local/sbin/mailman.aliases.
>

> You have to create /usr/local/sbin/mailman.aliases with execute
> permission and containing
>
> /bin/cp /usr/local/mailman/data/aliases /etc/mailman.aliases
> /usr/bin/newaliases

Oh!  The substitution of that word "containing" for the post's "with"
made all the difference. :)

I read "create this file with these commands" as, "use these commands
to create /usr/local/sbin/mailman.aliases"

> It is the
>
> POSTFIX_ALIAS_CMD = '/usr/bin/sudo /usr/local/sbin/mailman.aliases'
>
> That tells the process to run that file in order to update system
> aliases from the /usr/local/mailman/data/aliases that the process
> creates/updates.

Sure.

> 2) You put in mm_cfg.py
>
> MTA='Postfix'
> POSTFIX_ALIAS_CMD = '/usr/bin/sudo /usr/local/sbin/mailman.aliases'
>
> What this does is it tells Mailman's bin/genaliases and list
> creation/deletion processes to run Mailman/MTA/Postfix.py as part of
> the process to deal with aliases. This in turn updates data/aliases (a
> fixed file name) and then invokes POSTFIX_ALIAS_CMD to update the
> system aliases. That command runs the script in
> /usr/local/sbin/mailman.aliases (as root) to copy the aliases to
> /etc/mailman.aliases (This is necessary because of point 1. in the
> post at
> <http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2004-June/037518.html>)
> and run /usr/bin/newaliases to update Sendmail's database.
>
> Now Mailman aliases are being automatically maintained in
> /etc/mailman.aliases, but none of this actually happens until step 5.
> of the above post's instructions.

Uh-huh.  But now I have all the products mentioned in step 5 except
for mailman.aliases.db.  I guess 2 out of 3 ain't bad, but... any
clues?

> Does this help?

Pretty good, thanks, but still a mystery lurks.  Where's
mailman.aliases.db?

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting