[Mailman-Users] Mailman in a webhotel? I need some guidance in configuring the thing...

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Sun Dec 10 20:51:00 CET 2006

At 12:07 PM +0200 12/10/06, Ralf Strandell wrote:

>  1) Can I install Mailman without root access?

Not so far as I know.  You could do it at a site where they give you
full administrator access to a virtual machine, however.

>  2) How do I configure Mailman to be secure? What are the best practices
>  (group ownerships etc) for hosted installations?

Your webhotel service would have to install Mailman, and they would
need to be the ones to do the Mailman site administration functions.
Once they've created the lists, they could leave most of the
administration tasks up to you, however.  Of course, you would still
need to depend on them for anything that requires access to the logs
or priviledged access to the command-line functions, etc....

>  3) Could you please lead me to the relevant documentation...

I'm not sure that there is any relevant documentation for this
particular configuration.  There is some partially relevant
information found at
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq01.024.htp>,
and you may find other FAQ Wizard entries that are also useful.

--
Brad Knowles, <brad at shub-internet.org>

Trend Micro has announced that they will cancel the stop.mail-abuse.org
mail forwarding service as of 15 November 2006.  If you have an old
e-mail account for me at this domain, please make sure you correct that
with the current address.