[Mailman-Users] Permission of data/bounce-events-?????.pck

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Wed Feb 1 23:13:25 CET 2006

imacat wrote:

>    I noted that in the source of mailman 2.1.7 there are 2 lines in
>bin/mailmanctl:
>
>line 421-422
>        # Clear our file mode creation umask
>        os.umask(0)
>
>    Is this intended?  Is it the reason why data/bounce-events-?????.pck
>are world-writable?

It looks like you're right. I don't know if there is/was a good reason
or not. I'm cross posting this reply to Mailman-Developers. Maybe
someone there knows the reason for this.

Note that many places in the Mailman code, umask is saved and set for a
particular purpose and then restored, but BounceRunner doesn't do this
when creating the bounce-events-*.pck. I don't know why.