[Mailman-Users] Newbie struggling with add_virtualhosts

Alan Chandler alan at chandlerfamily.org.uk
Fri Feb 3 05:57:20 CET 2006

On Thursday 02 February 2006 23:45, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> Alan Chandler wrote:
> >Therefore, for a single e-mail domain (mail.home) I want to map several
> > web server synonyms to it (www.home, mail.home, roo.home and localhost).

Just to be clear - what I mean by this is if I visit ANY of the web sites
www.home, mail.home, roo.home, localhost  I want to get the same set of lists
(they happen to be a set of gated newsgroups), if I visit
www.chandlerfamily.org.uk I get another set (genuine mailing lists created by
me)

> This is all OK, but it probably doesn't do what you want. What it does
> do is it allows lists to be created in any of the domains
> www.chandlerfamily.org.uk, mail.home, www.home, roo.home and localhost
> and all of these but the first will have the associated email domain
> mail.home.

You say it doesn't do what I want - but I can't see what I should therefore
do.  Is what I want to do possible?

> But, lists created in the mail.home domain for example will only appear
> on the mail.home listinfo page; lists in the www.home domain will only

Its the "lists created in the mail.home domain" bit I only half understand.
If I have understood everything correctly that I have read, there is a
mailing list parameter called web_page_url.  It doesn't appear on any of the
lists configuration options but I could run a python script called fix_url.py
to change it.  It is this parameter which is looked up in the virtualhosts
table to get an e-mail host.

The bit I don't understand is how does the e-mail host effect what is
displayed on a partitular listinfo page based on the url the user used to
access that page.

> See
> <http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.062.htp>
> for a more detailed discussion.

I read through that, and I understand everything it says (I think:-) ), but I
doesn't appear to answer my question.

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk