[Mailman-Users] add Approved: header to subject [dnk]

JC Dill lists05 at equinephotoart.com
Thu Feb 9 05:32:34 CET 2006

Dustin Krysak wrote:
> Good day.
>
> I have a moderated list where I have implemented the Approve: header
> method. Now with the people using this, having it actually in the
> headers is not an option as they do not understand how to modify
> them, etc. Now i know there is the option to add it to the first line
> of the body. This too does me no good as the end user will be sending
> HTML mail to their list... which when using the Aprove: header is an
> issue since a portion of the html is stripped and that causes other
> portions of the HTML to be displayed to the people.
>
> IS there a way to use the Approve header in the subject of the email?

Not that I know of.

> Just looking for a way to spoof proof a list and still use HTML
> without having to get them to add the extra header in their mail
> client (outlook).

One solution is for your approved posters would be for them to use a
different client that allows them to add an extra header.  They wouldn't
have to use that client for all their email - they could just use it
when they want to post to your list.

Take a look at Eudora, Agent, and Thunderbird.  In Eudora and
Thunderbird look at how to do "stationary" in that client that would
automatically address the message to your list and automatically include
the approved header, and then create a step-by-step instruction sheet on
how to download, install, and configure the client to work to post to
your list.  It will take each user a few minutes to follow your
instructions, but once it's all setup all they have to do is open the
client software and create a new message and everything else will be
automagic.  In Agent, you add the alternate header as a field in the
agent.ini and then it's available as a "special field" that you can fill
in when you compose an outbound message.

Another solution is to use the 2-step process of sending (without an
approved header) then logging into the website and approving the held
message.  Just make your approved senders moderators of your list.  This
is easier to get started, but means more steps each time they want to
send a post to your list.

jc