[Mailman-Users] Problem with Digest containing accented letters

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Tue Feb 14 18:43:13 CET 2006

Pierrox wrote:

>But when it comes to Digests...
>- if a user gets Mime Digests, he can read the text, but each message to the
>list is also present as an attachement. Not fabulous...

If you use an MUA that understands MIME typt multipart/digest, these
will be seen as messages, not attachments.

>- if a user gets Plaintext Digests, the text is garbled. Each accented
>letter, be it an =E9, =E8 or =E0 or whatever, is replaced with a "?" character.
>
>Not exactly usefull, and that's what I'm trying to fix.

It sounds like your list language is English, the character set for
which in Mailman is us-ascii, so the digest is sent in us-ascii which
doesn't support those characters, thus the '?'.

Try setting the list language to French. Or, if you really need it to
be English, you can put the following in mm_cfg.py

def _(s):
    return s

add_language('en',    _('English (USA)'),       'iso-8859-1')

del _