[Mailman-Users] GMane?

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Fri Feb 17 21:07:21 CET 2006

At 2:34 PM +0900 2006-02-17, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>  I don't think that's a useful question to ask.  Open source is not
>  about paybacks.  (Although copyleft clearly is, to many people.)  Open
>  source is about payforwards.  I do something for you, and you do
>  something for somebody else.

	I'll accept that premise, at least for the moment.

>               I think Gmane qualifies on that score: I know a lot of
>  contributors to open source projects who think Gmane makes their work
>  more effective.

	I'm not convinced.  They appear to be running a pretty fast and
loose operation, without much care being paid to what they're doing
(or risking) to projects such as ours.  They're not even abiding by
the rules that they had promised us they would honor, the last time
we spoke to them -- something like about a year ago.

>  Aye, there's the rub.  I don't much like the rules that they actually
>  play by.  The procedures are biased toward producing mistakes of this
>  kind.  And by the nature of their service they tend to impose their
>  standards for privacy protection etc on the lists that they gateway.
>  The combination is not appealing for Mailman, I'm afraid.

	The combination is not appealing in general, I'm afraid.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755