[Mailman-Users] Integrating Mailman with Spamassassin

John Fleming john at wa9als.com
Sat Feb 25 14:47:14 CET 2006

> On Thursday 23 February 2006 16:36, Jon D. Slater wrote:
>> I've been using Mailman for some time, and just recently installed
>> SpamAssassin on my Fedora Core 4, Linux machine.
>
> Spam-assassin would normally be used with the MTA (i.e. exim, qmail, etc.)
> and
> not Mailman.  Basically, you should be using it to stop spam from getting
> Mailman alltogther and not after the message has already been accepted by
> your SMTP daemon.
>
> So this is likely not the place to be asking that question, try looking
> through the Spam-Assassin site for intergration how-tos for your SMTP
> daemon.

Oh, I disagree, it's not that bad a place to ask - How about Mailman FAQ
#4.23?  http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=all#4.23

Three methods -

#1 is MTA integration

#2 uses patches - This is what I do, and it works great.  Unfortunately, the
link http://jamesh.id.au is no longer good, so you will have to get the
patches elsewhere.  Google spamassassin.py or see
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=640518&group_id=103&atid=300103
You will need to add the following to your mm_cfg.py:
#
GLOBAL_PIPELINE.insert(1, 'SpamAssassin')
SPAMASSASSIN_HOST = 'localhost'
SPAMASSASSIN_DISCARD_SCORE = 500
SPAMASSASSIN_HOLD_SCORE = 3
SPAMASSASSIN_MEMBER_BONUS = 0
# You can also do a similar thing for Clam if you get that patch
# Scan messages for viruses using Clam AntiVirus
GLOBAL_PIPELINE.insert(1, 'ClamScan')
CLAMAV_DISCARD = 0
CLAMAV_CLAMDSCANPATH = '/usr/bin/clamdscan'

#3  Procmail also works, of course.

John