[Mailman-Users] Logging Archive Creation in MM2.1.7

Bryan Carbonnell carbonnb at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 04:02:15 CET 2006

On 02/01/06, Mark Sapiro <msapiro at value.net> wrote:
> Bryan Carbonnell wrote:
> >
> >The error I get is:
<snip>
> >UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xa3 in position
> >2025: ordinal not in range(128)
> >
> >I have looked through the mbox file and all the ascii characters
> >greater than 128 are in the body of the e-mails. The 2 characters that
> >i can find are the British Pound sign and what appears to be a MS
> >"smart" single quote.
>
> The problem occurs when the archiver tries to obscure email addresses
> in the body of a post (read from the .mbox file with bin/arch or
> presumably, a new post being archived too) before adding it to the
> monthly .txt file, and the body of the post contains a non-ascii
> character or characters.
>
> See
> <https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1395683&group_id=103&atid=100103>
> for another report and a patch that can be applied to allow rebuilding
> of the archive.
>
> The patch in the above report will not actually fix the problem as the
> rebuilt archive will not have email addresses obscured in the .txt
> files in the bodies of those posts with non-ascii characters.
>
> Also the problem doesn't occur if
>
> ARCHIVER_OBSCURES_EMAILADDRS = No
>
> in mm_cfg.py.

So, let me just see if I have this right, this error only happens when
I rebuild the archive?

Will it happen when new posts are sent to the list, and therefore archived?

I don't rebuild archives often, it's just one of the things I do when
I'm testing out a new version.

I'm not really sure if I want to deploy this version if it doesn't
obscure the addresses in the archives. I understand that it's just the
.txt files and not the HTML files, but I'm not sure if I want to
expose my users to a possible spam harvesting goldmine.

Thanks though Mark. I do appreciate the quick response.

Bryan Carbonnell - carbonnb at gmail.com
shouting "What a great ride!"