[Mailman-Users] Can I use my ISP's SMTP server?

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Wed Jan 4 06:28:38 CET 2006

   From: Eric <avatar819 at twcny.rr.com>
   Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2006 00:04:20 -0500
     To: mailman-users at python.org

>Hello all, I've recently upgraded to mailman-2.1.6 from an older version.
>I currently host lists via a dynamic IP address, and because of reverse
>DNS lookup, many IPS's will not accept mail from my server because
>it is a dynamic IP. Is there any way to configure mailman to use my
>ISP's mail server instead of my own sendmail smtp MTA?

Yes. You can set SMTPHOST and SMTPPORT in mm_cfg.py to point to your
ISP's server, but you will probably encounter other problems.

You may now or shortly or eventually run up against limits on outgoing
messages.

You may also have to validate yourself to the server. See
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2005-October/047082.html>
for more on this.